APG is now taking submissions for Rachel Reese Selects, our feature exhibition for Atlanta Celebrates Photography (ACP), the month-long, citywide photography festival. The exhibition will be juried by Rachel Reese, the Associate Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art and the Telfair Musuems in Savannah, GA. The Virginia Twinam Smith Award is an important part of this exhibition; Two works will be selected for a $500 prize and acquisition into the permanent collection of the Museum of Contemporary Art of Georgia (MOCA GA). Selects runs from October 5 – November 11, 2018.
Juror: Rachel Reese
Rachel Reese is the Associate Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art at Telfair Museums in Savannah, GA. She is a curator, arts writer, and independent publisher. Reese has held positions at Atlanta Contemporary, Fleisher/Ollman Gallery in Philadelphia; Deitch Projects, Petzel Gallery, and Andrew Kreps Gallery in New York. As an arts writer, Reese was the former Senior Editor of Burnaway in Atlanta, and her writing and artist interviews have appeared in BOMB Daily, Temporary Art Review, TWELV Magazine, and Art Papers, among others. Reese is the 2018 consulting curator for the Public Art Exhibition on Hilton Head Island and was a 2018 ArtFields juror.
Virginia Twinam Smith Award
Each year, two photographs from the Selects exhibition are awarded a $500 cash prize and the photographs are donated to the Museum of Contemporary Art of Georgia for their permanent collection. Past recipients include:
2017: Peter Essick
2016: Malgorzata Florkowska and Joseph Pizzuto
2015: Amanda Greene and Meredith Howard
2014: Jack Lawing and Jennifer Lawsky
2013: Anthony Dabraio and Jan Kapoor
2012: Michelle Norris and Barry Vangrov
- There is no theme for this show. Entrants can submit 2-8 images of their choice. Images do not need to be a part of a single body of work.
- Works that have already shown in the APG Gallery are ineligible for this exhibition. Works that have been shown off-site (Photo Buckhead, Airport) are eligible.
2 images - $35
4 images - $50
6 images - $75
8 images - $100
APG offers need-based scholarships for all of our exhibitions that will cover the submission entry fee. Don’t let a lack of funds prevent you from sharing your vision with the world. Be a part of the photography community and show your work today. Click here to submit your application.
Deadline for Entries: August 16, Midnight
Notification: August 24
Delivery of works: by September 22, 4pm
Opening Reception: October 5, 6-9pm
Juror Talk: October 20
Exhibition Dates: October 7 – November 3
First: Purchase Entry Fee
Second: Prepare Text File and Images
- Export images as .jpg. Resize to maximum 2048 px on the longest side.
- Rename files to the title of the work, exactly as you wish it to appear (Example: My Great Photo.jpg) Your name will be automatically prepended to each file upon upload.
- Create a text file with your Name, Artist Statement (500 words max), and Title List that includes Creation Year, Medium, Framed Size. Save file as a Word doc or PDF and upload file + images. We suggest you download the example file on this page to use as a starting point.
- Once you have paid the entry fee and uploaded your files, you will receive a confirmation email.